Product Design & Systems Engineering
Accelerate and secure your product design & engineering process.
Across all industries, from space to healthcare, systems are becoming more and more complex and are targeting increasing optimisation.
Integration of systems has become more difficult, whether it be integration of components into a system or integration of the system within its environment. Specific integration issues include:
- Converging on an integrated solution while avoiding costly engineering iterations
- Ensuring the appropriateness of selected commercial off-the-shelf elements
- Succeeding in merging diverse technologies and combining multiple disciplines
- Unifying specialist engineering silos
- Ensuring consistent business-level interactions at system boundaries or over a system-of-systems
Many companies have a strategy to move up the value chain in response to competition in their markets. They are also facing the internationalisation of projects, and the multiplication of stakeholders each with different practices and processes.
Within this context, fulfilling cost, quality and delivery objectives becomes a major issue.
The Product Design & Systems Engineering challenges can be summarised as the need to move to a new system level to include:
- raising projects from local to transnational
- developing systems instead of equipments with the related seek for global optimisation
- changing paper-based engineering into model-based
- going from physical testing to virtual integration
- creating an integrated engineering approach from silos
…and reach the dimension that will best serve the product and business of our clients.
Lifecycle Experience / Altran has 20 years of experience in Product Design & Systems Engineering. Common Product Design & Systems Engineering challenges which Lifecycle Experience / Altran works with its clients to address are to:
- reduce systems development timescales and costs
- ensure critical engineering milestones are met
- reuse solutions, components and technologies
- deploy organisation-wide processes and practices
- spread system thinking through training & mentoring
Lifecycle Experience / Altran provides packaged offers for Product Design & Systems Engineering, applicable at organisation, project, or process level to help clients move to the next dimension. These packaged offers are the building blocks for achieving higher value: (i) agile, lean and collaborative engineering (ii) virtualisation (iii) lifecycle choice & control and (iv) successful engineering business models.
In addition, Altran has experience in seven industrial sectors, and provides cross-fertilisation of methods and best practices between different non-competitive industries.
Altran offers 3 levels of services:
Engineering Scale Up: Altran provides consulting services including diagnosis, mentoring, training, change strategy and compliance against industry specific or generic Product Design & Systems Engineering standards.
Lifecycle Performance: Altran implements and applies Product Design & Systems Engineering approach and practices. From the earliest stage in systems engineering adoption to the most advanced Model-Based or Knowledge-Based Systems Engineering, the Altran teams define, implement, tune and operate on behalf or in support of its clients’ teams.
Back on Track: Altran assesses emergency project situations, characterising root causes as well as applying quick and efficient methods to help recovery & reboot.
Altran introduced system engineering practices, process and tool in a major automotive manufacturer. Gathered in a single tool, requirements, functions, interactions links, dynamic models and tests are unified and consistent. Each engineering discipline can then work with the most convenient understanding of the global system. Altran provided training and coaching so as to maximise adoption and benefits from this approach.
Requirement-Based Systems Engineering
Altran defined and implemented a requirements management process for a train manufacturer. This process ensures a complete traceability across the entire lifecycle and the synchronisation of the requirements management environment with architectural/ functional/ operational models.